Biological and Biomedical Sciences
The Department of History and Philosophy of Science offers three minor subjects (single paper options) to students taking the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) course in Part II of the Natural Sciences Tripos:
- Subject 107: History and Ethics of Medicine (see below)
- Subject 113: Early Medicine (Paper 2 of the HPS Part II course)
- Subject 114: Modern Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (Paper 5 of the HPS Part II course)
History and Ethics of Medicine
Medicine is constantly in the headlines. The news raises challenging questions about how medicine should be practised and how we got where we are today. Medical ethics and history of medicine are the academic disciplines that engage with these issues. The two subjects combine to yield a rounded picture of the status and significance of medicine.
- Dissertation: Up to six students will be allowed to write their BBS dissertation on this course.
- Supervision: Students are advised to seek between four and six supervisions to support the course.
- Assessment: This course will be assessed by a single three-hour written examination.