The Department of History and Philosophy of Science offers several papers as single-paper options for Part II and Part IIB students.
Students taking these options are welcome to attend any of the Department's Part IB and Part II lectures that are of interest to them, not just the lectures that are part of their course. They may also attend the primary source seminars even though they do not submit primary source essays.
Biological and Biomedical Sciences
Three minor subjects are offered to students taking the Biological and Biomedical Sciences (BBS) course in Part II of the Natural Sciences Tripos:
- Subject 107: Philosophy and Ethics of Medicine
- Subject 113: Early Medicine
- Subject 114: Modern Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
In addition, students who take one of these papers can choose to write their BBS dissertation on a topic related to it.
The following is offered to students taking Part II of the Classical Tripos:
- Early Science and Medicine (Paper 1 of the HPS Part II course)
The following is offered as an optional paper in Part II of the History Tripos:
- Specified Subject 11: Early Medicine (the same as BBS 113)
Human, Social and Political Sciences Tripos
The following are offered as optional papers in Part IIB of the HSPS Tripos:
- Philosophy of Science (Paper 5 of the HPS Part II course)
- Ethics and Politics of Science, Technology and Medicine (Paper 6 of the HPS Part II course)
Psychological and Behavioural Sciences Tripos
The following are offered as optional papers in Part IIB of the PBS Tripos: