The Monitoring Committee is a forum for discussion of matters directly affecting students. The Department finds that obtaining feedback from students is a valuable way of monitoring the quality of teaching. Providing consistent, effective feedback to students as to what has been done as a result of their comments can also be very beneficial. The Monitoring Committee normally meets once a term and discusses departmental teaching, notably co-ordination of supervisions with lectures, and the organisation and taking of action on questionnaires. All staff and students have an open invitation to attend all or any Monitoring Committee meetings.
Election of student representatives
In November each year there is an election of student members of the HPS Board: two undergraduates and one graduate are elected by the other students in the Department. As well as sitting on the Board, which meets twice a term, the student representatives sit on the Monitoring Committee. Other students are welcome to attend Monitoring Committee meetings.
Student representatives have the following responsibilities:
- attending HPS Board meetings as junior members;
- organising questionnaires for students, with the results made available at the next meeting of the Monitoring Committee;
- updating the student advice pages on the online students' guides;
- attending the prospective Part II meeting in Lent Term;
- helping to organise the garden party in June.