Life Fellow, St Edmund's College
Council Member, Royal Astronomical Society (2014–2016)
Research interests: History of astronomy, particularly in the 20th century. History of cosmology. Biography and autobiography of physicists and astronomers. Fred Hoyle. Mary Somerville. Georges Lemaître. Arthur Eddington. Copernicus.
- Rodney Holder and Simon Mitton (editors), Georges Lemaître: Life, Science and Legacy, Springer, 2013.
- Simon Mitton (editor), Taking the Back off the Watch, Thomas Gold Personal Memoir, Springer 2012.
- Jeremiah Ostriker and Simon Mitton, Heart of Darkness: Unravelling the mysteries of the expanding universe. Princeton University Press, 2012.
- Fred Hoyle: a life in science, Cambridge University Press 2011.
- Conflict in the cosmos: Fred Hoyle's Life in Science, Joseph Henry Press, Washington DC 2005.
- Cambridge Scientific Minds, Cambridge University Press 2002, edited with Peter Harman.
- Active galactic nuclei, Cambridge University Press 1979, edited with Cyril Hazard.
- Exploring the galaxies, Faber 1976.
- Daytime star, Faber 1981.
- The Crab Nebula, Faber 1979, vol 26(3): 595–601, 2006.
- The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Astronomy (editor), Jonathan Cape 1979.
- Hay Festival 2012 and 2013: Origin of structure in the universe
- Royal Astronomical Society, 14 January 2013: How geometry has guided cosmology, from the Babylonians to Einstein and beyond
- Oxford Literary Festival May 2014: Origin of structure in the universe
- Cunard, Queen Mary 2, November 2013, four popular science talks
- Fred. Olsen, Balmoral, March 2014, ten lectures on the history of astronomy, maritime history, and cosmology